Sunday, March 18, 2012

HuTong Dumpling Bar

HuTong Dumpling Bar
14-16 Market Ln
Melbourne, VIC3000 

Another restaurant crossed off the 'to go' list!
Okay, so it doesn't really count considering I've been here before with L and T..except we all ordered individual meals and skimped out on their infamous dumplings ^^; 

Hence the second visit~ Pan Fried Pork Dumplings are another of my favourites so if they truly did make the best ones in Melbourne then I was ready to become a happy regular and drop the grudge (they turned the lights off on us last time when we still eating. I didn't feel very welcomed after that ^^; In fact the last time the lights suddenly died I thought we would be next. But that little story is a part of some other irrelevant adventure xD)

Sob stories aside - the dumplings disappointed. The skin was claggy and thick and the filling a pinkish-grey lump of meat with a rare dot of spring onion. Though an impressive amount of soup spurted out after each bite, the oiliness certainly didn't make a good impression.
The Xiao Long Bao came next, looking like miniature volcanoes. Unfortunately it didn't offer the sensation of scorching hot soup exploding in my mouth and dribbled lamely into the spoon instead. The meat was looking even more flushed than the dumplings but a different wrapping around the same filling wasn't going to improve the taste.
  
My first encounter with Dong Po Pork~ Following a slight delay the fat dissolved and left me with this strangely smooth feeling. I have got to try this elsewhere and make a comparison >D
 
  Turnip Pastries (radish actually). Crunchy.
I'm hesitant to make a return unless I hear a compliment about the Ma Po Tofu.

Total: $48.40 including steamed rice and tea.

..$6 for tea is halfway to Lupicia ;__;

HuTong Dumpling Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment