Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Elceed

 Elceed
610 Queensberry Street
North Melbourne

Sunday brunch with Mother is becoming a regular appointment now. Admittedly, there isn't much we agree on, even in terms of food, but it's still a major commonality. For example, we love our durian (much to the chagrin of the rest of the family when the smell diffuses throughout the house). She was also the one introduced me to the world of teatime and cake. While it has evolved into a less than healthy habit of coffee appreciation, at the end of the day it's just nice to be able to relax and forget our troubles, as we nip the cream with the teaspoon head, and trace the swirled pattern of the leaf.
Mother became rather enamoured with the coffee at Seven Seeds, and hasn't enjoyed many others since. While Elceed didn't break the pattern, the wide window in the backroom that allowed the sunlight extended entry did serve to brighten her day. I just stared at the initials HW by the firefly and thought of what I should have been doing.
Beetroot, pumpkin and feta tart. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee this was good. Pastry was very flaky, couple that with smooth feta and delicate pumpkin pieces and you've got two happy customers.
















Vertical picture is how it was originally presented, and the horizontal, rather mutilated one was me trying to show you a better picture of it. I'm sorry I had some avocado first.

After Reading Room Cafe, I've been going with the fritter option whenever it's available. I'm going to declare these as my favourite so far. The fritters weren't floury at all, so while it didn't hold itself together on the fork very well, it did taste good. And anyway, you can't win them all :)


Corn kernels were bursting with sweet juice. Couple that with the salsa and avocado, and I could only smile widely as the wonderful flavours melded together in my mouth. I'm sorry to say that the flavoursome whirlwind wasn't enough to take the high salinity levels of the smoked salmon off my mind (well, tongue) though, but it does increase the value of the dish, considering this was about $16 or so.

Verdict is: I regret delaying our visit to Elceed for several weeks, and I'm keen on returning :D

Elceed on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment