Thursday, August 9, 2012

Satchmo's Den

Satchmo's Den
57 Lonsdale Street, CBD

Looking for a typical laneway cafe in Melbourne is like almost like finding Platform 9¾ (HP reference. Yet another stereotype fulfilled w00) You reach the supposed address of the cafe, only it doesn't seem to be there. So you stand on the street whirling around in case you've missed the entrance, or in hopes of discovering you're actually on the wrong side of the street. Then realisation sinks in, and you proceed ever so cautiously down (or up in this case) the gap between the buildings. Then you spot the signs. 

A chair. 
A table. 
A teapot! Wearing a knitted tea cozy and planted on a stone post -  it's Satchno's Den friendly flag, declaring that yes, they're/you're here.
Winterblues. Where the best cure of knowing you don't have anyone to answer to is unavailable, opt for the next best thing: warm. hearty breakfast and your choice of hot beverage.

Coffee Supreme beans, another type I'm still getting to know. Crema was lovingly thick, though coffee less so. Mild mannered, olfactory sector: accomplished.

Though I advocate descriptivism, I still have a habit of insisting on 'correctly' pronouncing an ingredient heh. Anyone else share the sentiment?

Baked beans with Surjoc (Turkish Beef Sausage)
I like that they've bracketed an explanation to what 'surjoc' is, or I would have assumed it was another type of cheese and forewent this wonder.

From memory, this is my first time having baked eggs and it was certainly a positive experience. Sausages were firm and peppery and capsicum was just cooked, still bursting with its sweet juices. A gentle poke with the fork was enough to pierce through the fragile film of the egg, releasing the yolk to mix with the sauce and emulating the warm orange hues of a rising sun I've missed. (Spring will come!)

Buttered toast! Took a dip in the dish then backtracked to my mouth. Oh that wondrous feeling of the sauce seeping through.. Not to forget the exceptionally crispy sound as it broke off, and the miniscule spray of crumbs which showered the dish (I watched in amusement). Dip. Eat. Repeat.

Leaving with a sweet treat in tow would have wrapped up the meal nicely, but my stomach capacity has become smaller (still no sign of receding waistline) ;___;

Friendly service and a vague memory of nice music playing in the background.

Definitely returning.

Satchmo's Den on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

  1. Pretty! This was an incredibly wonderful article. Many thanks
    for supplying this info.

    Stop by my web-site - rent land

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, i think that i saw you visited my weblog
    so i came to ?return the favor?.I am trying to find things to improve my website!
    I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!


    Feel free to visit my weblog :: edmonton mortgage calculator

    ReplyDelete
  3. I visited various web sites however the audio quality for audio songs
    current at this web page is really marvelous.

    Feel free to visit my website - read review

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's in point of fact a great and useful piece of information. I'm satisfied that you shared this helpful information with us.
    Please keep us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.


    my site; a fantastic read

    ReplyDelete