Thursday, September 6, 2012

ψ(`∇´)ψ Collingwood Food Dash

South of Johnston
45 Oxford Street, Collingwood

Lately I've really been getting tired of the CBD. If I'd only realised how close it was to Collingwood by tram, I would have gotten out here sooner ^^; While my head kept scanning the streets for the places on the wishlist, our lunch destination was a little further away from the tracks.
My photos never do justice to what I photograph, and these are no exception. The room is tall, wide and comfortably spacious. Our table was being cleaned, so we waited it out in the couch area, next to a pile of logs and a fireplace.
The decor is really amazing. Bold and passive colours. Artwork line the walls, miniature monuments on the tables; knobs and fresh flowers and drawings may also be spotted.
T's Blue Mountain Tea. Big pot of loose leaf, and the milk came in an adorable bottle. (Too bad she isn't a milk tea drinker ^^;)

Unusual pairing. Heck, normally I don't even get a saucer! Don't take that as a complaint though, I liked the little plate :P Supreme beans btw.

Too many tasty options on the menu! We ordered four to share. 
Corn fritters. I slot this in the 'pass' category, but not something I'd return for. Suh-weeeeeeeet chutney.
Crumbed chicken in flatbread. I said that we shared the food right? I essentially unwrapped it when I tried to slice it ^^;  Lots of fresh, healthy salad.

Scotch fillet steak sandwich. Despite having more cheese than the chicken wrap, I didn't mind it here. Sweet beetroot was the usual stand out.
Penne with chorizo. The higher you climb, the harder you fall. I was most looking forward to this one, but I've decided I like creamier pastas afterall ^^; I'm thinking I should steer further away from foods with chorizo from now on. I know I'll like it, but gone is the element of surprise and excitement.

The mini city, and the fork in the sea. Overall, I loved the interior and staff were friendly, even though it was lunch hour and the place was quite busy. It would make for a nice stop when I'm in the area again, but I wouldn't return strictly for the food and coffee.

South of Johnston on Urbanspoon

Monsieur Truffe
90 Smith Street, Collingwood

This outing was centered around hot chocolate actually ^^; K's a big fan of them, and I'm starting to try them out myself, though lattes are still what I default to.
So many types of chocolate @.@ Spotted a 70% hazelnut I want to go back for, but pity they don't have any darker ones.
Cute cups, substantial amount of foam. They're quite milky, and far from bitter.
Between the 4 of us, we had hot chocolates ranging from 70-85%. The 70% and72% were sickly sweet . By the time I got to the 85% I couldn't taste much, other than grainy powder ^^;

Storm in a Teacup
48 Smith Street, Collingwood

Serendipity. Okay, not quite. I expected it to be good, but it wasn't what I was looking forward to for the day. Tea is like my former lover, the stereotypical character who was always patient, always there, with its loving warm embrace. And I, I took the road less travelled by and that has made all the difference was seduced by coffee and its wickedly smooth charms and broke it off with the former. While we had occasional get togethers, it was never quite the same.

After this visit though, I'm beginning to think I should rethink our relationship. I was young, I was curious and wanted to see the world! Even now, it's probably too early to ask tea to take me back, so over the course of the next few weeks, when I come across a cafe with a slightly more extensive tea list, I'll give it a try and see where my true allegiances lie.

Storm in a Teacup has also rekindled an old interest in learning how to properly steep teas, rather than dunking a Dilmah/Bushell's teabag in a mug, and filling carelessly with boiling water and milk. If anything it'll certainly be easier to than making a coffee and shall teach me to be patient ^^;
Detox tea and brownie. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with individual smells and flavours so I can't dissect this like a 'serious' tea drinker could. The most I can offer is how it had a deep, inviting scent :)
Sweet darkness beckons, and look how pretty the plate is! Personally I'm a fan of the light blue and brown combination.
Fabulous Fruit Toast! ($12.50) Think healthier version of the walnut and ricotta load at Twenty and Six Espresso (have you been yet?). Smooth dollops of yoghurt, with contrasting sweets and sours from the strawberry and blood orange, and the finishing touch of crunchy pistachios, and embedded hazelnuts (Nuts about nuts ^^;)

Guilt free I tell you, guilt free.

Storm in a Teacup  on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment