Thursday, September 13, 2012

Journey in the West

West 48
48 Essex Street, Footscray

Had a mild bout of food poisoning on Tuesday, proves I can't even toast a sandwich without doing some sort of damage. A quick stop at the gp revealing some amusing results, then lunch at West 48.
Avocado on toast with heirloom tomatoes and feta
Today's special, along the lines of air-dried wagyu with rocket, sweet balsamic pears, pine nuts and feta in a ciabatta roll. I promise I’m not one to fall for the ‘wagyu trick’ and I’m just biased towards beef in general. In fact, it tasted like a thinner, and less salty version of salami. Warm, crusty bread stuffed with mildly bitter rocket leaves, some feta, the goodness of firm pinenuts, currants and pears for a sweet edge. While it was very nice, it costed $12 or so. I’d happily trade in the wagyu for some other meat if that meant prices would be reduced.

Cupcakes by Paolo
28C Ashley Street, Footscray
Red velvet cupcake. 
I don't understand.

Duchess of Spotswood
87 Hudsons Road, Spotswood

Braised lamb shank ragu with peas, mint and..ricciutelli? Not learned about my pastas, I just thought it was cute how from a side view, they were 'S' shaped. Mmm, scatterings of tender lamb that held plenty of flavoursome, and not too saline, sauce amongst its strands. Peas were cooked, but plenty firm and mint leaves provided a breath of fresh air when encountered. Toast seemed completely out of place, just tacked onto the plate like that ._. It did its job of being filling.

Creamy creamy foam! Other than that, coffee wasn’t the greatest.
Overall, nice dish, just not something I found myself gushing about.
A bunch of cakes
86 Hudsons Road, Spotswood
3/4 of this was a mountain of smooth icing. Heavy scent of vanilla in the cheesecake.

Hey, 100th post.

1 comment:

  1. Why don't you open an eatery one day!

    ReplyDelete